- Year of composition: (7 January) 1888
- Work category: Mixed choir a cappella
- Text author: Psalm 39, verses 5 and 6 from the Book of Psalms, the Old Testament, ("Herre, lär mig dock" ["Lord, make me to know", i.e., verses 4 and 5 according to King James Version]
- Duration: Approx. 1-5 min
Examples of printed editions
SK-Gehrmans Musikförlag, SKG 10198 (copyright 2001)
- Location autograph: Musik- och teaterbiblioteket
- Possible call no. and autograph comment: Wilhelm Stenhammar's archive
Bo Wallner: Wilhelm Stenhammar och hans tid (1901)
Description of work
(no time signature) D minor 4/4 (C)
According to the printed music, "Aunt Grandmother" (Eva Sofia Nyström) did not belong to the Stenhammar family. But, as Wilhelm Stenhammar's father Per Ulrik (an architect and composer) was part of her cultural circle of friends, she was given this "nickname" by her young guests. The work was performed by the same family choir for which, in 1890, Stenhammar composed "Tre visor" ["Three Songs"].
Also according to the printed music, this psalm along with the setting of the "Den signade dag" (SK-Gehrmans Musikförlag SKG 10199) constitute Stenhammar's whole production of sacred works.
Herre, Herre, lär mig dock
att det måste få en ände med mig